Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Siblings

Do you have any brothers and sisters? Are you close geographically and emotionally?

I have one brother. He lives about 20 miles away. He is younger than I am by 3 and a half years. He is the director of a radiology department in a big hospital. He is also a firefighter. He's a rabid Eagles (football) fan and is extremely depressed right now. He is married for the second time, has two daughters, a grandson and a little dog that looks like Toto but acts like a hound from hell. My brother likes really nice things. He has a Hemi, a hottub and a huge house.

We don't see each other alot because we are all so busy and we don't actually have much in common, but we are always laughing when we are together. We'd kill for each other and emergencies mean we drop everything and join forces.

When we were small (me ten, he six and a half and a ten year old friend of mine) our mother took us to the movies at the Army base near by. Tickets cost 50 cents for children. Movie rating systems were uncommon. We went to see a movie with religious overtones. Beautiful scenery (southern mountains and swamps) and interesting banjo music, along with new and unusual characters littered the screen.

"Sue-ee, sue-ee." (Movie)

"Mommy, what is that man doing?" (My brother)

"Don't look!" (My mother with not enough hands to cover all of our eyes.)

We often torture our mother with our Deliverence story, telling her it's a good thing no one knew what child abuse was back then.

Every once in awhile, when we sit across from each other at a dinner table (someone's birthday or at a fine restaurant) one of us will take a mouthful of food, get the other's attention, then open our mouth with a chewy mess inside. This has to be done so only he or I see. Special.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jadzia said...

My brother and I have inside jokes like that too. I love it.

5:55 PM  
Blogger furyouhin said...

i'm an only, alas. growing up, i more often than not envied my friends' relationship w/ their siblings, even while they fought.

12:48 AM  
Blogger goldennib said...

My daughter is an only. She's adopted her cousins and several friends as siblings. She wishes she had some of her own. I quit roving so she could have the same friends from a young age to make up for it.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home