Tuesday, January 31, 2006

This 'n That

Sucks and Rocks

I've been finding loads of great bargains at Barnes and Noble recently. That rocks. Getting behind on utility bills after Christmas? That sucks. James Blunt rocks. Black Eyed Peas' My Humps sucks. Blogging with all you ladies rocks. Breaking my old online posse from the FoRT sucks.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Ah, my dear brother, Wayne. Where do I begin?

Wayne is a year younger than I am, and when we were boys, we were inseparable, like so many brothers were.

When we were in high school, we started down different paths. I became more quiet, thoughtful, reflective (if you can believe that), and he became more outgoing, loud, brash. Yes, he's louder and brasher than I am, than you would imagine me to be in real life.

I attended journalism school first at San Diego State then later back home at San Jose State. I eventually landed a job in IT. Wayne graduated from Berkeley then did his post-grad at Harvard, majoring in Public Policy studies. Today, he heads a charity for families in crisis in New York City.

We're neither close geographically nor emotionally. I regret that. Each and every one of my male friends (who has a brother) claims to be closer to no one else in the entire world. They would literally kill or die for their brothers.

Some days, I think back to those days that seem so long ago now, the long afternoons stretching into dusk, when I furiously pedaled my bicycle down the street, the houses passing by in a blur on either side of me, the wind whipping at my face like sandpaper, and I think about looking over and seeing my brother at my side. Even if he's no longer there by my side, it doesn't change the fact that I, too, would kill or die for him.

Curriculum Vitae

Discount Store Clerk. My first first job (that is, where someone deigned to pay me for the tasks I performed) was at a five-and-dime store--TG&Y/Newberry, to be precise. At the end of my first day, another clerk and I were appointed the glamorous task of taking all the store garbage out to the Dumpster behind the store. It was so full that my co-worker told me to jump inside and tamp the garbage down before we could unload more garbage. I lasted a week.

Video Store Clerk. It seemed like the perfect job for my college years. I loved movies, and the freebies appealed to me. Free movie rentals? Sign me up! I lasted nearly a year, and I can't believe I did. By the end of the year, I learned another important lesson: I learned to hate people.

Various temp positions. My next foray into the job market was as a temp. I did it all--HR, legal, office manager. My experience proved to be a valuable lesson in navigating office politics.

IT Systems Engineer. My current job is in "IT"--information technology. It's basically a fancy way of saying I'm the "computer guy."

4 Comments:

Blogger Jadzia said...

James Blunt totally rocks! He's beautiful... I saw him live w/ Jason Mraz back 'round Thanksgiving @ Copley.

DUDE hahaha there used to be a TG&Y here in SD, San Ysidro to be precise. Then they tore it down for another 99cent store, and I haven't seen another TG&Y since. I didn't know it was an actual chain... that's hilarious. My friend Karla and I called it "teh-heh ee why". Like we pronounced the t and the g in spanish, but the y in english. For no reason other than we thought it was funny. We're not very funny, I know.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

How long ago was this tg&y because when I was a kid we had one in North Alabama... that was AGES ago. I was like 7 when they shut it down and put up a wal*mart....

I accidently "stole" a bracelet from there once when I was little. I was sooo scared.

3:43 PM  
Blogger kari said...

on the topic of brotherly closeness, it's never too late. i'll bet he would die or kill for you, too.

12:22 PM  
Blogger goldennib said...

Glad you finally posted here. I was beginning to think you didn't like us anymore.

Your story of you and your brother on bike's is endearing.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home