Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Workers of the World - Hang Out?

here's the set up...
Nine Inch Nails is one of my FAVORITE groups of ALL TIME…(when I was a teenager… I had Trent posters and pictures ALL OVER MY ROOM AND MY LOCKER… he was like my number one crush… I still have a picture up on my wall of him holding this dead deer... like laying on the forest floor holding it – le sigh… when he was rocking the Victorian goth look from the perfect drug video… and oh Closer is STILL my favorite music video EVER and is in my top 5 song list of all time)

so they’re playing in my area in a couple of months…

I am really excited… and I REALLY want to go… (even though the cheap seats are like $100)

updated... not sure WHY I didn't check the bands official website before... but apparently tickets aren't even on SALE YET... so I don't know WHERE these sites are getting the $100-$500 ticket prices... so yea... I might be able to get good seats for a lot less money...

They’re touring for With Teeth… but they might even be promoting the Downward Spiral 10 year anniversary CD that was released earlier this year… and that makes me happy like nothing else… because I was denied access to see THAT show way back in the day because the CD had been banned at my school (fuck you Tipper Gore) and my parents said “NO WAY”

Grrr…

So anyway… I asked Andrew (who will be my loving husband by the time the concert happens) if he would go with me… and he was like “um… I only know like 3 of their songs… and um… I don’t know if I would be the best choice to go with you”

and he’s got a point… because when we saw Depeche Mode last year… he enjoyed himself… but he didn’t know their songs like I did… and so while I was singing along with the majority of the crowd… Andrew was trying to follow along and rock out despite not knowing many of the lyrics…

oh also… well… no offense to my sweetie… but… he might um… STAND OUT at the show amongst the other NIN fans… my future hubby is for lack of a better word… a nerd…and while I totally [heart] nerds… I don’t know if he would feel comfortable…

so there is this guy that I work with (he’s my fan club… for those of you following along) and things have gotten better with him… it’s not so much a stalker vibe anymore as it’s a bit of a weird infatuation one (über heavy on the sexual innuendo... but seemingly harmless... albeit pesky and still space-invady)… heh... he’s actually wearing The Downward Spiral t-shirt today… and I was talking about the concert to the Chairman… and he overheard and was all “COOL” and I was like “yea…” and he was like “Irvine isn’t far to go…” and I was like “um… yea”

and then I put my headphones back on…

ugh… I haven’t extended my “co-worker” friends into my “real life” friends circle too much (I went to an Ozomatli concert with Chairman and Laura… and that was cool… even though we didn’t see each other for more than 5 minutes because they got there late and every other person in LONG BEACH was already there) and I've talked about doing stuff with this other lady (who is totally cool and I would totally hang out with) but um… I’m pretty sure I don’t want to go to a NIN concert with this guy…

and not just because it might be a little awkward when Trent sings “I want to FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL”

another update (because I'm busy but also bored... very VERY bored)... I was talking about the concert and how no one I know really wants to go with me... and fan club says he'd go with me and I was like... um... the tickets are kinda expensive... and he's like "find some for less than $100 and I'll (winkwink) think about it" and then we were talking about prior concerts and he tells a co-worker who joins into the convo and he's like "she's (nods at me) is trying to get me to buy her $100 concert tickets" and I was like "DUDE... I NEVER asked you to buy me a ticket... and even IF (like a BIG F-ING IF) we were going to go... you wouldn't have to buy my ticket" and he smiles and winks and says "you know I would" like it would be a DATE or something...

gah... I swear I'm not asking for this... why do some guys mix up nice and friendly with "i think you're hot"... I'm a smart ass... but there's never anything beyond the snark to indicate interest... wtf...


---------------------------------------------

so topic of the (mid) week... how does everyone handle their "work friends" relationships…

is it like high school (again) or do YOUR co-workers actually act like the adults that they're supposed to be...

15 Comments:

Blogger goldennib said...

It's like high school in that there aren't many mature, sane people, but it's not like HS in that you get better at handling situations and the stakes are higher, cause it's your livelihood.

Don't go to the concert with that guy. He sounds too weird. With some people you just have to be very business-like and steer clear of them as much as possible.

5:20 PM  
Blogger tamie said...

you know the shitty thing is... he's exactly the type of guy I would totally love to have as a friend... like we have similar interests and senses of humor...

and we were totally cool until last august when he started with the "weirdness" and while I wouldn't call it sexual harrassment... some of it's definately inappropriate work convo...

5:57 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Yeah, he sounds totally wierd. I wouldn't go anywhere with him. Unfortunately he does sound like the type that would get the "wrong idea".

I only have a handful of people at work that I like. All of them female, so it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't mind hanging out when them from time to time, but one of them has children which makes it hard and the other one is kind of private. Besides, I see them for like 40 hours a week and we do enough "hanging out" on the job LOL

8:50 AM  
Blogger kari said...

I LOVE TRENT. no, seriously.

i've seen three shows in the last year and i'm itchin' to see the one in milwaukee this july.

trent...sigh.....

11:36 AM  
Blogger kari said...

and i think husband-to-be would have a great time at the show.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Nics said...

The co-worker sounds a bit freaky indeed, maybe you should tell him that you are going with your husband to be and see how he takes it. I wonder how he would handle it if it was the other way round?

2:05 PM  
Blogger tamie said...

yea... you all make valid points...

but everyone here (including him) knows about husband-to-be... and I'm wearing a freaking rock on my left hand... and all I do is talk about wedding plans...

plus... he's actually introduced me to HIS girlfriend...

and apparently he has quite a reputaion around our office for this sort of behavior... according to my other co-workers though... he's never been fixated on someone for quite this long before...

it might have something to do with my love of pirates (since he also shares this) but I don't know...

I've tried to avoid him and because of our jobs... that's kinda impossible... so yea... I shall try the "I'm going with my HUSBAND" thing and see what he says...

thanks :)

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lori sez:

he sounds like the kind of guy who would get his ass kicked at a NIN concert.

maybe you could outweird him by talking only in NIN lyrics.

"hey tamie do you have those tps reports?"

"i've found you can find happiness in slavery"

"coool.. but do you have those reports?"

"i'd rather die than give you control"

4:57 PM  
Blogger kari said...

right on, lori!

6:20 PM  
Blogger tamie said...

lmao... YES Lori... I should totally do that...

and um... WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ;)

hehehe...

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Sounds like we have similar tastes in the music.
I went to that Downward Spiral Concert back in 94' (I think it was 94). Trent got really pissed because the arena wouldn't let the fans mosh. He picked up a chair and threw it and tried to encourage the fans to do the same, they didn't tho, security was too tight.
He is one sexy man.

2:16 PM  
Blogger kari said...

trent is far from that nowadays -- the past three shows i've seen he's so gracious and appreciative of the crowd. of course, being clean is probably a big part of the change as well.

2:51 AM  
Blogger tamie said...

latest update...

last night Andrew and I (along with another of my coworkers) actually WENT OUT to play pool with fan-club...

my logic was maybe if he SAW and got to know husband-to-be... he would back down a little... and he did... he would say stuff and then just when it might get weird he would catch himself and say things like "well you just don't talk about another girls tits with her boyfriend standing there"

at least it's an inprovement :)

it was actually fun... and only slightly awkward... especially that weird handshake when we left... like he was afraid of touching me or something... hmmm... probably hehe...

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jadzia said...

In almost every job I've had (all 4 of them), I've made friends. Especially my current job, people in my office totally hang out w/each other and stuff. A lot of people who work for my company met their spouses there... I guess it's not frowned upon. Most of my office is pretty young so it seems natural to hang out n stuff.

That's good that the coworker has toned down, but dude he sounds freaky =\

7:56 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Yeah, fuck Tipper Gore!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home