Friday, May 05, 2006

Mona Lisa's Smile

so I’m one of the few people left who haven’t read The Da Vinci Code… it’s been on my list for a while… my neighbor even lent me the book (which has been sitting on a shelf in my house for probably over a year… collecting dust)… and I do want to eventually read it… it just hasn’t been high on my list of priorities since oh… whenever it came out…

and I’m not particularly interested in seeing the movie either (what's up with that HAIR Mr. Hanks) because I would rather read the book first… and so my reaction to all the hype and hoopla going on right now is… well… kinda “meh”

what does get me upset is that the catholic church is getting it’s panties in a twist because they’re afraid it’s going to spread hostility and perpetuate false information regarding jesus… now I know what The Da Vinci Code is about… and if I’m not mistaken… hasn’t the whole "jesus marrying mary magdalene" thing been around for a while… I know I’ve seen stuff of it on the history channel and tlc… the whole Merovingian line and all… and whatever… I mean I’m not what one would call “religious” in any right… I was born catholic… raised lutheran… and as soon as I had the chance to choose… I chose nothing (until college… and now I would call myself a pagan) and with Andrew’s family being agnostic… jewish AND pagan… we’re a pretty open minded bunch…

But come on… how can this ONE movie make them sooo nervous… they’re afraid of what… people going OMG jesus had KIDSgod’s decendants walk among usWHA??? My whole concept of faith has been put into questionthe fragile logic that is holding my church together is unraveling and now I no longer believe

serioulsy… if people’s faith is THAT delicate… then… that’s just SAD…

plus Didn’t Kevin Smith tackle this a few years ago… hehe… catholicism-WOW…

but really… how is ok to boycott The Da Vinci Code… but OTHER movies about jesus (cough*ThePassionofChrist*cough*TheLastTemptationofChrist*cough) are OK… couldn’t it also be argued that THESE movies are FALSE and UNTRUE accounts of jesus… since it’s a matter of faith ANYWAY that the bible is a true and factual account of god and jesus… and ohhhhh wait… those are OK because they PROMOTE the catholic church’s message…

RIGHT…

Hypocrisy…

awesome

Well… not to offend any one here… but it’s my opinion that the bible is the greatest work of mythology ever written… so I am totally able to enjoy these movies as the FICTIONAL accounts that they were intended… and whatever you believe… I would hope that the faith you have is beyond being brought into question because of some book… and that you have enough of a brain to make up your own mind and differentiate between what is entertainment and what is meant to bring you closer to god…

Hope everyone has a super-duper weekend...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lori sez:

i think what is upsetting the church is the fact that in the book leaders of the church are portrayed as conspiratorial, murderous, scheming villians and the church doesn't want that image to be applied to the church.

and how come no one is asking andrew lloyd weber how he feels about all this? if anyone is an expert on the relationship of jesus and mary m., it's him!

12:53 PM  
Blogger tamie said...

well ok... I guess the whole "the catholic leaders are evil" thing is upsetting too... lol... but then again... it's JUST fiction so it shouldn't bother them...

Hollywood makes movies all the time making world leaders "the bad guys"

I don't know why religion is so sacred *ZING*

it's just a movie :)

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lori adds:

also, the "false information about jesus" that the church is upset about isn't necessarily whether or not he was married to mary m. but the fact that the book raises questions about and challenges his divinity which is central to catholic and christian faith.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lori adds more:

if you want to be really conspiratorial you can think that if the church thinks people are stupid enough to believe what is in the bible then those same people are surely stupid enough to believe what is in "the da vinci code."

i really need to learn how to write bullshit so i can make a lot of money.

1:27 PM  
Blogger tamie said...

I think that even if the Da Vinci Code brings into question if jesus was god's son or not is a ridiculous reason to boycott a movie...

they're putting down a fictional story because it has conflicting beliefs to their own... and maybe you're right... if we're going to assume people will believe one "book" aka the bible... why not another... but I think that all they're doing is giving the movie free publicity...

in summary... organized religion is dumb.. hehe...

how many deaths and atrocities can be attributed to the "murderous and scheming villians" in the entire history of christianity... not so many right... heh... I don't think their hands are as clean as they think they are... so maybe they're worried people will remember...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Dear Lovey Heart said...

basically dan brown is a crappy writer.


thats about all i have to say on the subject.

12:06 AM  
Blogger goldennib said...

Dan Brown, in both the book and his interviews, states that the information he brings out in the novel is based on incontrovertible fact. He does not believe it is fiction, and many people believe his writing is based on fact.

The Catholic Church is most upset over the portral of the Opus Dei as an CIA type organization or the suggestion that they perform severe forms of self abuse. And because Dan Brown claims this as a documented fact, they feel they must counter the allegation.

The Church is not really upset over the basic idea that Jesus and Mary M. were married and had children. That would not challenge Jesus' divinity, as Catholic dogma also states He was the perfect Human man.

Other Christian denominations are upset over the suggestion that Jesus was married.

In my opinion, the basic tenets of most major religions are the same, they only differ in the details, which are ethinic and regional in nature.

When you study the more esoteric aspects of religions the things they have in common becomes more apparent. Then, you realize it doesn't matter which religion someone believes in.

The social organizations based on these religions are geared towards controlling the masses who don't want to think for themselves, they only want to follow. Which is ok by me too as long as they don't try to tell me what to believe.

Oops, rambled quite a bit. Sorry.

6:50 AM  
Blogger goldennib said...

By the way, I love the picture.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I had to hold my tounge on a Da Vinci Code conversation just the other day. In reference to the Dan Brown book, someone said "I think it's sad that just because someone wrote it in a book, everyone believes it"...

And then they went on to talk about how Jesus did this & that and there was no way that it this movie & it's theories were correct.

The same could be said of the bible and that is EXACTLY how I feel about the Bible... it's a shame that just because it's written in book formation everyone believes in it and questions nothing.

The same people that won't let their kids ready Harry Potter because of "magic" will let their children read all about crazy Biblical mysticism that is being pawned off as 100% fact.

I support people who have faith in things even if it is organized religion (which is something I do not want any part of personally). However, I don't support ignorance. I don't know how anyone could go through 4 years college and still come out "a believer"...

Try living in the bible belt of America. It really does try one's patience!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lori sez:

i have a really hard time believing that forrest gump has the intelligence to figure out a centuries old mystery. i know he can play ping-pong really well but, i mean, running around europe on the heels of mysterious monks? lieutenant dan can't bail him out of everything.

"the forrest gump code"

LOL

7:19 PM  
Blogger furyouhin said...

Agree w/ your points. I haven't read the book either (mostly because I'm not a fan of Dan Brown's writing style), and probably won't bother seeing the movie either (mostly because I'm not a fan of Tom Hanks since he stopped wearing dresses).

one nitpick: Both the book and film releases of The Last Temptation of Christ were the object of world-wide protests, many of which were led by the same people now protesting the release of DaVinci Code. LTOC even had some misguided fools toss Molotov cocktails into a movie theater (how...forgiving).

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home